Police: Edgewater Fatal Shooting Linked to Failed Drug Transaction

A fatal shooting that occurred in Edgewater, Volusia County, Florida last week has been revealed to have originated from a drug deal gone awry, as per recently released court records. The incident took place around 9:30 p.m. on October 5th near the 1500 block of Juniper Drive, which is known to be a local homeless camp. Tragically, one man was killed at the scene, while two others sustained injuries.

According to an arrest affidavit, it was uncovered that a man and a woman had been seen entering the camp earlier on the same day. It was further disclosed that one of the injured victims had previously deceived the man involved in a drug transaction within the past few weeks, leading to a potential motive behind the shooting.

The following day, Laura Carter, a 42-year-old woman, reported to the New Smyrna Beach police that her handgun was missing. Investigators noted that Carter and her partner, Walter Russell, 45, had ventured into the wooded area leading up to the homeless camp. At some point, Russell instructed Carter to remain where she was while he continued onward. It was during this time that gunshots were heard, and Russell reappeared abruptly, prompting Carter to swiftly chase after him towards their vehicle.

During the course of her statement, Carter indicated that Russell possessed her firearm. However, when questioned about how Russell acquired the weapon if it was reported missing, Carter attempted to retract her previous statement, asserting that her gun had been misplaced, and she was unaware of Russell having a firearm during the incident.

Russell was subsequently apprehended and, during an interrogation with detectives, confessed to visiting the area armed with Carter’s gun. Detectives also revealed that Russell admitted to the victim having previously attempted to rob him during a drug transaction and providing him with substandard narcotics.

According to police, Russell claimed that as he approached the camp, the individuals residing there began charging at him, presumably startled by his presence. In response, Russell fled while firing shots behind him, ultimately discarding Carter’s firearm before making his getaway in a vehicle.

Russell now faces charges of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder, while Carter is being charged as an accessory after the fact. Both individuals are currently being held without bond pending further legal proceedings.

The incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers associated with illicit drug dealings and emphasizes the need for heightened vigilance in combating such criminal activities. Law enforcement authorities continue their efforts to ensure the safety and well-being of the community as they work diligently to bring justice to those affected by this tragic event.

Related Articles

Back to top button