Family Home Destroyed in Fire, Grandfather and Grandchildren Safely Escape

Atascosa, Texas – In a heartwarming display of solidarity, the community has come together to support the Atascosa family, whose home was tragically destroyed by a fire. The incident unfolded when an elderly man had to be rescued through a window, thanks to the courageous efforts of his neighbors.

Left with the daunting task of sifting through the remnants of their once cherished home, the family now faces the arduous challenge of rebuilding their lives. The fire has left them devastated, having lost everything they owned. However, they find solace in the fact that their family members and beloved pets managed to escape unharmed.

“I said it’s on fire. We got to get out,” recounted Allissa Lopez, one of the family members. Last Sunday morning, Lopez’s grandfather, Ralph Chapa, noticed smoke emanating from the attic. In a desperate bid to flee, both Lopez and her grandpa made their way towards the exit, but Chapa unfortunately fell in his bedroom.

“I saw my sister come out and said ‘where’s grandpa?’ I’m like ‘he was behind me, isn’t he out here,'” Lopez shared. Alissa’s sister, Katherine Baltazar, courageously rushed back into the blazing inferno to locate their grandfather. “I didn’t even think twice about going back into the burning home,” Baltazar declared.

Inside the engulfed house, Baltazar discovered their grandfather lying helplessly in his room. Determined to save him, she cleared broken glass, inadvertently injuring herself in the process. Unable to lift her grandfather, Baltazar resorted to sticking her head out of the window and screaming for help. Fortunately, their neighbors swiftly responded and came to their aid.

“Our neighbor came out, and another neighbor came out from further away. He jumped fences into our yard to help him, so they were able to get him out,” Baltazar gratefully acknowledged. Both Baltazar and her grandfather were subsequently transported to the hospital. While Chapa suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and required a breathing tube, he is expected to recover.

According to fire officials, the fire originated on the porch and is believed to have been caused by the water heater. The inferno, which completely gutted the house, also necessitated the rescue of several beloved family pets. Amidst the ruins, the family is now left contemplating their next steps.

In a bid to kickstart the rebuilding process, the family has launched a GoFundMe campaign. As of now, the initiative has successfully raised $3,642. Should you wish to extend your support to the family during these trying times, you can contribute by clicking here.

The Atascosa family’s harrowing experience serves as a poignant reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of community support. As they embark on the journey to rebuild their lives, their resilience and the outpouring of assistance from their neighbors stand as a testament to the indomitable human spirit in the face of adversity.

Related Articles

Back to top button