A White House press secretary criticized past claims that the search for classified documents is over.
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre declined to say Tuesday whether President Biden’s lawyers are continuing to search for more classified documents that Biden may have lost.
White House lawyers have so far found three shipments of lost classified documents from Biden’s time as vice president, one in the Pennsylvania Biden Center’s Washington office, and two more at the president’s home in Wilmington, Delaware. Jean-Pierre initially told reporters on Friday that the search for classified documents had been completed, but news broke on Saturday of a third batch.
“Last week you told us that we can all assume that the American people can assume that the searches have been completed and all the documents have been found,” the reporter began. “On Saturday, the White House Attorney’s Office said five more classified documents were discovered. Is it now safe to assume that all the documents have been found … or are the searches continuing?
“We answered a few questions from here. The President answered several questions,” Jean-Pierre replied. “I will just continue to be careful here. I will allow this ongoing review that is taking place, this trial that is taking place, and let that process continue under the direction of the special counsel.”
“I won’t comment from here,” she added, saying the Biden administration has a habit of staying silent on Justice Department matters.
PRESIDENT BIDEN IGNORES WHY THE SECRET DOCUMENTS WAS FOUND IN HIS THINK CENTER
The second reporter was more aggressive, pointing out that Jean-Pierre herself stood in front of the reporters and stated that the search ended just a day before the new documents were actually discovered.
“Didn’t you know on Friday that these additional documents were discovered while you were on the podium, or were you instructed by someone not to circulate on this matter?” the reporter asked.
“I spoke from this podium,” Jean-Pierre replied. “What I said yes to was what was a statement at the time — what we all had. All of you had a statement and I repeated what [White House] the lawyer spoke at the time.”
NATIONAL ARCHIVES REJECTED OBAMA-BIDEN MISUSED DOCUMENTS CLAIMS WEEKS BEFORE FIRST BATCH FOUND
Biden’s lawyers discovered the first batch of classified documents at the offices of the Penn Biden Center in November and said they immediately handed over the documents to the National Archives. Since then, searches have turned up two more shipments in the garage of Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware.
A pile of mishandled documents prompted Attorney General Merrick Garland last week to appoint a special counsel to investigate the case, bringing in former U.S. Attorney Robert Hur.
Meanwhile, Republicans on Capitol Hill are demanding more transparency from Biden about the contents of the documents and who might have had access to them. The White House Counsel’s office deviated, saying there was no visitation log at the Biden home in Wilmington.
However, House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer said he would “continue to seek” information about the documents despite the lack of a visitor’s log.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
“President Biden promised to have the most transparent administration in history, but he refuses to be transparent when it matters most,” Comer told Fox News Digital. “The White House, the National Archives and the Department of Justice have withheld from Congress and the American people information about classified records found in insecure places since Joe Biden as vice president. The American people deserve transparency, not secrecy.”
Dallas Press News – Latest News:
Dallas Local News || Fort Worth Local News | Texas State News || Crime and Safety News || National news || Business News || Health News
texasstandard.news contributed to this report.